Sanitary Tubing that Ensures Health & Sustainable Industries
As with the treatment of water, the health industry demands only the best type and grade of stainless steel for its different needs. Priorities in the health industry include hygiene and sanitary conditions. Medical practitioners, dental professionals, manufacturers of medical tools, and many other players in the health industry rely on Sanyo Seiki’s stainless steel that is highly resistant to corrosion, easy to clean, and remarkably sanitary.
Food industryThe food and agriculture industries also rely on sanitary material for processing and delivery without fear of contamination from fungi and bacteria. Sanyo Seiki’s manufacturing plants are strategically located to provide the right stainless steel for the growing demands of these industries. With these consistently rising demands for stainless steel sanitary tubes, Sanyo Seiki complies with the Bureau of Philippine Standards’ PNS ASTM A270/A270M:2016 which is the standard specification for seamless and welded austenitic and duplex stainless steel sanitary tubing intended for use in the dairy and food industry and having special surface finishes. This particular specification covers tubes in sizes up to 12 inches (300 mm) in outside diameter.
- Seamless (SML)
- Welded with no addition of filler metal during the welding process (WLD)
- Heavily Cold Worked (HCW) tubes – where prior to cold working, the weld shall be 100% radiographically inspected in accordance with the requirements of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, Division 1
All material shall be furnished in the heat-treated condition. The heat treatment procedure (except for S31803, S32003, S32205, S32750, N08926 and N08367) shall consist of heating the material to a minimum temperature of 1900oF (1040oC) and quenching in water or rapid cooling by other means.
An analysis of either one length of flat-rolled stock or one tube shall be made for each heat. The chemical composition thus determined shall conform to the requirements given in the Table 1 of PNS ASTM A270.
- When requested by the purchaser, product analysis tolerance in Specification A480/A480 shall apply. The product analysis tolerance is not applicable to the carbon content for material with a specified maximum carbon of 0.04% or less.
- If the original test for product analysis fails, retests of two additional lengths of flat-rolled stock or tubes shall be made. Both retests for the elements in question shall meet the requirements of the specification; otherwise, all remaining material in the heat or lot shall be rejected or, at the option of the producer, each length of flat-rolled stock or tube may be individually tested for acceptance. Lengths of flat rolled stock or tubes that do not meet the requirements of the specification shall be rejected.
Reverse Flattening Test: For welded tubes, one reverse flattening test shall be made on a specimen from each 1500 ft (450 m) of finished tubing.
Hydrostatic or Nondestructive Electric Test:
Please request for the list of parameters from Sanyo Seiki Quality Assurance personnel.
The following surface finishes may be specified:
- Mill Finish – a finish without the additional polishing or operations intended to smooth the surface.
- Mechanically Polished Surface Finish – the purchaser may specify one of the following finish numbers: Finish No. 80, 120, 180, or 240.
- Electropolished Finish – a bright reflective finish produced by electropolishing.
- Maximum Roughness Average (Ra) Surface Finish – The measurement of surface roughness shall be in accordance with ASME B46.1
- Longitudinally Polished Finish – usually performed on the inside surface only.
- Circumferential (Rotary) Polished Finish: This can be performed on either the inside surface, outside surface, or both.
Unless otherwise specified in the order, all tubing shall be protected for shipment by bundling, paper or burlap wrapping, or boxing at the discretion of the manufacturer.
Supplementary Requirements shall apply only when specified by the purchaser in the inquiry, contract, or order:
Pharmaceutical Quality Tubing:
When S31600 and S31603 are ordered, sulfur content shall be restricted to the range of 0.005 to 0.017%.
One tensile test shall be made on a specimen of lots not more than 50 tubes. Tension tests shall be made on specimens from two tubes for lots of more than 50 tubes.
Rockwell hardness tests shall be made on specimens from two tubes from each lot.
ASTM A270 grade stainless steel tubes from 304, 304L, and 316L types are manufactured under exacting standards for corrosion resistance and with sanitation in mind on the following applications: processing of dairy, beer, pharmaceutical products, water, and for operations needing refigeration. A269 and A249 are for sugar and coco mills and ice plants.